Sunday 1 December 2019

Winter Plein Air in Cambridge.

What excites you about painting?
One thing I discovered, this year, that excites me about painting, is that I love subtle colours and winter is a good time to see them. All those subtle violet greys, green greys, and neutrals.

Finished Painting

 It's easy to get caught up in them and to not see the larger tones and colours that make up the bigger masses.








On this cold winters day, last weekend, virtually no one was about, except the occasional dog walker, it was so peaceful. I was drawn to this scene by the subtle violets of the tree trunk and the earthy, yellow ochres of dried rushes.





The days are shorter now and so the clock is ticking when it comes to painting outdoors, but I'm pleased with the outcome and hope I have captured something of the colours and peacefulness.


No comments:

Post a Comment