Tuesday 10 December 2019

Painting sunrises in Oil Paint

It’s impossible to predict how the landscape will look and what you will encounter, when you go out plein air painting, you have to be prepared for anything. Especially the case with sunrises; will there be too much cloud cover, that you don’t see anything at all?


All you can do is just turn up prepared, that’s a good attitude to have for lots of things. I was fortunate in this case that there was some cloud cover to provide some beautiful some interesting shapes in the sky. I even had two friendly horses come over to see what I was doing, sadly I had no carrots or apples, I offered to paint them a carrot, but they weren’t impressed by that. 




The sun kept me warm, while it was rising, although it was difficult to paint contre-jour. 





Clouds did eventually cover the sky and what was a beautiful sunrise, illuminating the land before it, soon was covered in grey clouds and fog; which has its own appeal.

No comments:

Post a Comment